Nine months of putting off the tax return and then it is done in under a hour
Yesterday I finally completed my annual tax return – one day before the deadline, else I would have faced a penalty for late submission. That probably does not mean anything to you unless I share that:
- It only took one hour for me to get the paperwork ready, enter the right data into TaxCalc and then submit it electronically – just one hour!
- I could have done this as far back as the 1st June 2011 – 9 months ago;
- I had made a decision to get this done over Christmas and never did;
- I made a decision to get this done in January and each weekend I found an excuse not to do it!
So here is what there is to get:
- It needed to be done – that is simply what is so irrespective of my thoughts and feelings about it, reality demands it be done;
- For 9 months I did not do it even though I have been aware that it had to be done – I kept putting it off; and
- When I did do it, it only took me one hour – just one hour, it was that easy!
What is going on here?
Why would I decide it needs to be done and then i would find excuses for not doing it? Why would i make such a fuss over so little work? After all i has done all kinds of stuff that has taken more effort than doing the tax return? One of the core practices of zen is to accept what is so and then inquire deeply to understand what is going on. So what has been going on with me? Having done that work I distinguished that:
- i never wanted to do it and hoped it could get away with doing it;
- Every time I showed up and said “It needs to be done” and set a date i found a way of not doing it;
- i was able to get I to collude in that by doing “something that I considered valuable / worthy”;
- When I became resolute, 100% resolute (not a grain of doubt was present) then the tax return got done inside one hour.
So what have I gotten out of my experience?
Nothing ever gets done someday. The kind of mind that generates ‘someday’ will continue generating ‘someday’. If ‘someday’ shows up in your world then know that it is being generated by mind, your i. And that it is simply a ploy for i to not do what I says should/needs to be done.
Anything and everything that gets done gets done now – always, no exceptions! Do you get that? It really is something profound and getting it provides me, you, us access to being powerful and generating the kind of lives that we dream of and do not generate.
The access to get things done right now is being RESOLUTE – as ‘hard as a diamond’ in your stand. This will get done and it will get done right now. And remember that taking the first step right now is doing it right now. Yes, it is: all I, you, we can do right now is to take that step and keep taking that step every moment until it is done.
I knew when the tax return would not get done and when it was going to get done. I just knew it. The difference? An inner conviction – a resolute stand as ‘fierce as a starving lion’ was present when the tax return got done, it was not present when it did not get done.
The mind creates demons and terrors out of nothing and is doing it all the time! The tax return did not get done because my mind (“i”) had convinced itself it was going to be hard AND unpleasant – i would have to pay more money in the form of tax that would be wasted by the Government. i was totally convinced of that. The reality: it took only one hour and the Government owes me just a little less than £2,000. £2,000 I could have gotten back, into my bank account, over 9 months ago! I believe Susan Jeffers coined a wonderful term: “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!” What wisdom there is in her words.
I love you, thank you for listening to my speaking. What demons has your mind created? Which aspects of your life would yield if your being was as resolute as mountain of granite?